World Egg Day
Follow us on Twitter @World_Egg_Day
Like us on Facebook @WEggDay
Follow us on Instagram @World_Egg _Day
World Egg Day is celebrated every year on the second Friday in October. On World Egg Day, events are held across the world celebrating the egg.
The first World Egg Day was celebrated in 1996 and since then we have seen a variety of wonderful events taking place internationally, with people enjoying and celebrating the wonderful versatility of the egg.
There is so much to celebrate – Eggs have the potential to feed the world
Eggs have a vital role to play in feeding people around the world, in both developed and developing countries. They are an excellent, affordable source of high quality protein, with the potential to feed the world.
This year World Egg Day is Friday 8 October
Whether you celebrate World Egg Day every year, or this will be your first time, make sure that this year on Friday 9 October, you get cracking and help to make this World Egg Day the biggest and the best ever. To help to get you in the mood, and start making plans, here are some examples of things that have been done in the past …
- Cook-off to find the region’s or nation’s fastest omelette maker.
- Family festivals – festivals have been held around the world, putting on eggciting fun and games for the whole family. Past festivals have included egg drawing competitions, egg throwing challenges, recipe contests and cooking competitions, as well as music and entertainment to bring people of all ages together to enjoy eggs.
- Recipe books containing a selection of delicious recipes using eggs.
- Shopping Centre cooking demonstrations and cook-offs.
- Tasty, nutritional seminars explaining the benefits of eggs.
Or, why not try …..
- Organising events for school and pre-school children. Encourage children to have fun with eggs, while teaching them about the nutritional benefits. Perhaps organise a sponsored egg and spoon race, with the money being donated to a national or international food project, or local community projects.
- School/community cooking competitions; who can create the best recipe incorporating eggs, or cook the tastiest dish?
These are just a few of our ideas, and some examples of things that have been done in the past. We hope that they help to inspire you, and we are sure you will have many more exciting ideas about how to celebrate the egg. Go on, get cracking!